Website Sponsor - Bo'ness Barracuda
Sat 14
Bo'ness United
BSC Glasgow
M Mooney (120')
Hughes (94'), Lindsay (107')
Bo'ness United 1-2 BSC

Bo'ness United 1-2 BSC

By Kevin McAlpine
Share via

Bo'ness lose after extra-time

A perspective from the terraces provided by BRYAN COPELAND!

A final home away from home game awaits the BU as they take on Lowland League Side BSC Glasgow. After today’s match the BU have an away league game next week before finally returning to Newtown Park in a couple of weeks time.
Thanks has to go to Camelon for the use of Carmuirs and also to the EOS for their arrangement of fixtures. With the season going fairly well so far the home side today will be looking to keep a momentum going as they look forward to playing at our proper home again soon. With battling performances earning draws and the wins we’ve had so far the BU remain unbeaten in the league so far and apart from 1 cup defeat the other week there are no other defeats so far.
Today’s cup tie however will present a different challenge for the BU with BSC playing in the Lowland League above us and having a good start to their season including a 3-1 away win at Bonnyrigg just last week. BSC also finished 2nd behind winners East Kilbride in the Lowland League last year so clearly look to be a very good side. That is the challenge however in the EOS and with the BU one of the many teams vying to get a place in the Lowland League by winning promotion this game may be a taste of what’s to come in the years ahead.

Into the match then and it was taken in by the usual large BU support. The home side were more than holding their own in the opening 10 minutes as a great cross from the left was swung in by Stevenson forcing the visiting keeper to make a save. A great ball across the box soon after found Morgan who should possibly have done better but a heavy first touch let him down. BSC then had a chance from a free kick but the BU wall blocked well. Another free kick was given to the visitors as Snowdon was judged to have fouled but it was never a foul. Murphy in the BU goal done well commanding his area to clear. The home side continued to look the better of the 2 so far as they won a corner that was cleared well by the visiting defence. A blatant foul on Will Sonwdon saw the 1st yellow card of the game go to BSC shortly followed by another for the visiting side. As BSC came forward they got a corner again well cleared by the home defence before once again forward they went only to be caught offside. Murphy had a save to make but it was an easy catch from a shot just inside the box. The visitors came forward again and as a ball came over Stevenson should have been there to make it his but he backed out the challenge allowing a ball into the box which was well cleared by Campbell. Soon after a quick ball down the left from the visitors saw them get just inside the box, again Campbell having a fantastic game so far was there to make the tackle and clear with ease. The home side got forwards again and as an initial ball was blocked it fell to Grant who hit a great shot on target only to see the BSC keeper make a brilliant save. The ball was blasted clear for a throw in and a 3rd BSC player found his way into the book. As the throw was taken long into the box a massive appeal for handball went up but was waved away by the referee and the visitors counter stacked quickly. Stevenson made a brilliant challenge to halt the attack but the ball broke the way of BSC calling Murphy into action in the BU goal with a fantastic stop at his near post. The resulting corner was headed easily away by Murphy as half time now approached with the home side not just holding their own but looking the better side against their higher league opponents.
Half time BU 0 - 0 BSC Glasgow.

Into the 2nd half and the home side now had the wind at their backs as the half got underway. The home side dominated the opening stages with a corner creating a chance to test the visiting keeper. Comrie had a shot from distance that was saved by the BSC keeper as the dominant BU only lacked 1 thing and that was a goal to show for their efforts. Morgan flicked a ball forward and it looked to be a lost cause but Ian Nimmo superbly charged it down only to be unlucky as it went for a throw in. The home side were quick to win the ball back and Keast found himself played in 1 on 1 with the costing keeper only for the flag to go up for offside. Stevenson played the ball to Gemmel across the middle of the park as the home side tried to get forward once again but a misplaced pass saw Campbell again superb at the back to clear the danger. Minutes later Campbell was again clearing the ball with no panic and the home side were still looking the better of the 2. A corner was swung in from the home side but cleared before it made it to the BSC keeper. The home side were showing dominance again and good play almost had Nimmo on the end of a ball but it was just too high and the costing keeper garnered easily. Good play out on the wing saw the home side in again only for the BSC defence to clear with now 12 minutes remaining. BU hearts were in mouths as the visitors got forward and what would have been an injustice at this stage the ball curled low towards the corner the of the net, Murphy got down quickly and sent the ball for a corner with a great save. The home side came forward again and the visiting defence had to be sharp to clear the ball. A bad tackle on half way had the home side appealing for a red card but the referee awarded a yellow. Forward came the free kick from the home side and Nimmo was so unlucky not to score as the BSC keeper got down low to make a block and send the ball for a corner. Morgan swung it in and again the costing defence cleared as it looked like the tie could go all the way with now just 4 minutes remaining. Forward came the home side again and Stevenson went down on the edge of the box getting a free kick. Morgan was there but he walked off and left the kick to Stevenson. It was a direct hit blocked by the keeper and cleared by the defence. Stevenson send another shot goal wards again it was saved. With no more action the half ended BU 0 - 0 BSC meaning extra time.

Into the 1st half of the extra time and after dominating proceedings the home side found themselves a goal down as the visitors scored direct from a corner. BU manager Max Christie made a chance as Mooney replaced Keast. The home side tried their best against the wind and still looked the better side with a goal from nothing the only thing beating them as the wind picked up even more.
Half time of extra time BU 0 - 1 BSC.

Into the 2nd half and as the wind was now browning even stronger the BU who had been the better side must have had confidence still. Within minutes tough it was shattered as the visitors played the ball forward quickly. Murphy in the BU goal came out for a ball it looked like he was never getting and as appeals went up from the home side for hand ball they were waved away leaving a simple finish to make it BU 0 - 2 BSC. Overall 2 bad goals to lose having been the better side for most of the game. The home side didn’t give up and tried to get forward quick but a long ball was intercepted by the costing keeper who was in no hurry to kick it out. The dominance of the home side finally paid off as Snowden took a throw long into the box and as it bounced it finally fell to Mooney who put the ball in the net to restore hope. BU 1 - 2 BSC. As per much of the game it was all BU as the ball was consistently cleared and blocks by the visitors. In the end the best team lost as the referee ended the match BU 1 - 2 BSC Glasgow.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 14, Sep 2019


Ross Campbell

Player of the match

Ross Campbell